Driving A Minibus For Hire & Reward with the code 101

Can I use a D1 Licence with the code 101 to drive a minibus for hire and reward?

If you’re considering driving a minibus for hire and reward, it’s crucial to understand the detailed legal requirements regarding the appropriate licence entitlements. This blog post aims to guide you through the process of removing the 101 code (not for hire or reward) from your D1 Licence entitlement.

D1(101) Licence:

What it Involves If you got your driving licence before 1997, it’s likely that your D1 licence automatically included the code 101. This code indicates ‘not for hire or reward’. Drivers with a category D1 101 on their driving licence can operate a minibus of any weight, whether as a volunteer or for personal use, without it being considered a hire or reward.

With a D1(101) licence category, you have the legal permission to drive a minibus, ranging from 9 to 17 seats, including the driver, on a ‘not for hire-or-reward’ basis. Unless removed earlier, this entitlement typically stays on your licence until you reach 70.

Driving a Minibus with D1(101) Licence:

Drivers with a D1(101) licence can drive a minibus under a Section 19 or Section 22 permit, with no weight restrictions. This allows individuals to participate in driving activities involving minibus transportation, whether for community services, group outings, or other non-commercial purposes.

D1 Licence: Post-1997 Regulations

For those who obtained their driving licence after 1997, obtaining a D1 licence category requires passing a specific test. This licence allows individuals to operate any minibus with 9 to 17 seats for hire and reward. However, before starting practical driver training to get the D1 licence, certain prerequisites must be met:

Completion of a PCV driver medical examination to get a provisional licence.

Passing both PCV Multiple Choice and PCV Hazard Perception theory tests.

The Group 2 Driving Test:

Similar to the basic driving test for category B vehicles, the Group 2 driving test, now called the Driver CPC test by DVSA, consists of theoretical and practical elements, comprising four parts:

Part 1: Theory, Part 2: Case Studies Part 3: Practical Driving, Part 4: Practical Demonstration

Passing parts 1 and 3 qualifies the driver to operate a goods vehicle within the relevant category on the road, exempt from needing a Driver Qualification Card. However, parts 2 and 4 must also be cleared before engaging in professional driving activities such as driving for hire and reward.


Understanding the intricacies of driving a minibus, especially regarding hire and reward scenarios, is vital for compliance with legal regulations. Whether you hold a D1(101) licence obtained before 1997 or need to acquire a D1 license post-1997, following the outlined procedures ensure the safe and lawful operation of minibuses.

By familiarising yourself with the requirements and undergoing necessary tests, you can confidently navigate the process and embark on minibus-driving ventures with clarity and compliance.

Are you thinking of operating minibuses for hire & reward?

You’ll need a qualified transport manager, so why not become one yourself?

NTP offers the UK’s leading transport manager CPC study course for passenger transport operations. Learn more about this course and how it can assist you by clicking here!

Never miss an article

Subscribe to the talking transport blog now!

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team and our blog. We'll alert you whenever a new article is published.

You're in! we'll alert you when a new article is published and keep you up-to-date with our latest news and offers. 

Share This Post